Saturday, August 08, 2009

No Pill's Gonna Cure My Ill

I've had a cold for the past four days. It sucks. I'm high on cold meds and 3 glasses of scotch right now. Please forgive me.

Grammar and spelling are always important. This video demonstrates just how important they are. (Not Work Safe)


(via Millard Fillmore's Bathtub)

Of course, our insurance system has been a big discussion topic. I say insurance, not health care, because we're not talking about health care. We're talking about how to pay for health care.

Here's my question. If the government plan is going to be so awful, why is anyone worried about it taking over? If the public plan will be rationed and awful coverage, won't people stick with a private insurance company for a little more cash?

I've heard that 70-80% of people like their insurance plan. Of course they do, compared to the alternative. I have a plan that cost me little, and my VEBA plan more than covers my yearly deductible, not to mention that it carries over year to year. I have a good plan. I'd bet that given the choice between many private plans and what I have, people would take my plan. People are happy because they see what they're paying versus what it costs to get insurance without an employer chipping in, and anything is better than that.

And please get off of the "insuring lazy people" bullshit. When I was working full time as a security guard, I couldn't go to a doctor. The insurance I was offered was little more than catastrophic coverage. That was fine for me, a young, healthy single guy with no kids. At the pay we were getting, the cost for decent health coverage was astronomical. And that was for full time work.

A co-worker argued that the tax raises from the public plan would destroy retired people on a fixed income. Apparently he's never heard of premium increases, nor does he know how much an insurance plan without employer contributions actually costs for a 55-65 year old. My retired parents pay $400/month for their insurance, which is stellar. Well, that's their amount. My dad was a member of an evil union for his whole career, so he only pays 25% of the total. If you think $1600/month is in any regular retired person's budget, you're either rich or stupid.

And then there's the rationing argument. Leave aside the fact that health insurance companies do a perfectly fine job of rationing health care, care is also being rationed by price, as in the poor can't afford good health care. I'd also argue that giving everyone access doesn't mean that everyone will pound down the doors (except perhaps at the beginning, when people can finally afford to see a doctor for the first time. That will pass.). I've been sick for the last week. I didn't go to a doctor. Why do you think everyone else will?

And if you don't want the government getting between doctors and patients, you had better frackin' not be against medical marijuana. I'm looking at you, Governor Pawlenty.

I agree that our representatives in Congress should be willing to apply to the public option. That's the only way to know it's a great plan. But even if they don't, the wait for an MRI will be a lot shorter on the public plan than it will be for someone with no insurance at all. I suppose it's easy to argue against public insurance when you have a good job that provides a decent insurance plan. Or, lords forbid, are in a union.

Speaking of which ... Here's what the "conservative" movement thinks of union members, many of whom vote republican. How dare they expect a decent wage for their day's work? How dare they expect to be treated fairly? Why, if you're in a union, you are nothing but a lazy thug. Vote Republican!

Your *cough* *cough* *arrrack* leader.

7 comments:

Spot said...

Spot's RSS is apparently not working properly. Just read this post; will link to it shortly.

dekay said...

Is Disco Stoo OK with you?

DiscordianStooge said...

Disco Stoo is an acceptible shortening of my name, if that's what you mean.

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with you, stool ol' bean.

Conservatives do not think union hacks are lazy thugs....there's plenty of video out there proving that in fact, your average union thug is quite energetic..just as long as the focus of their attentions are at least 1/2 their size.

Now, when they are on the clock at their day job, and not collecting that sweet, sweet Soros money..well that's another story.

BTW..is it just me, or are these SEIU thugs using the same rat pack technique as Minneapolis' finest display here?

Stool, why do leftist thugs and police hate black people?

Anonymous said...

Grammar and spelling are always important.

"I'd bet that given the coice [sic] between many private plans and what I have, people would take my plan."

"If you think $1600/month is in any regular retired person's budget, your [sic] either rich or stupid."

"And if you don't want the government getting between doctors and paitients [sic], you had better frackin' not be against medical marijuana."

Nice going perfesser! HAHAHAHAHAaaaaaaa!1!!

DiscordianStooge said...

Ouch. I'd had a few drinks when I wrote this, but damn that's bad.

DiscordianStooge said...

Fixed.

And while I have reservations taking spelling advice from a guy who uses "'s" for plurals, you're right on this one.